Re: Testing Emulation Syscalls

On Tue, Aug 01, 2023 at 12:39:46 +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 01, 2023 at 01:34:54PM +0300, Valery Ushakov wrote:
> > As for testing emulated syscalls - can we solve this problem with a
> > bit of elf branding to convince the kernel to start the binary under
> > emulation directly?  Inventing a whole new backdoor API for that seems
> > kinda an overkill.
>
> That is probably quite easy to do, but we have a toolchain problem then
> (solvable too).
>
> We need build.sh to be able to produce the test binaries (including
> any needed libs, which don't have to be "native" libs of the emulated
> system).

For simple cases - can we get away with tiny'ish freestanding test
programs that invoke the tested syscalls so that we don't have to pull
a new cross-compilation setup out of thin air just for that?  Testing
something like lwp-related calls probably requires a real linux
libpthread anyway, not a gum-and-toothpicks effigy.

-uwe