Re: DRM/KMS: vmwgfx driver is now available

On 7/23/23 00:09, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Sat, Jul 22, 2023 at 01:23:39PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
Is there a way we could just use or add a simple hook in genfb or
rasops for when there's dirty areas to update, so we don't have to
copy & paste all of that cruft from genfb and drmfb?

It looks like a painful maintenance burden; maintaining genfb on its
own is bad enough, and there's a lot of API cleanup warranted in
genfb, rasops, and wscons.

Don't we have a "shadow" thing that does a quick access framebuffer
in main ram and causes (sometimes delayed) copy back to hardware for
slower graphic cards? See the comments about "shadow framebuffer"
in rasops.h (ri_hwbits vs. ri_bits). It is used e.g. in dev/sbus/cgtwelve.c.

That still means we have to allocate the real framebuffer in VRAM doesn't it? Unfortunately we just can't do it in the case of vmwgfx.