Late MCU, was: proposed cpuctl modification

To throw some extra fun mixture into this discussion:  As of 5.19
Linux will no longer allow late microcode loading:

ref: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-5.19-Late-ucode-Loading

There has been numerous “discussions” in certain circles that no
longer make sense, and require early loading only (from BIOS
updates).  Given the cadence of such updates in the past, they
were far and few between then, whereas they are much more frequent
now.

A solution may be something like a blob that gets loaded before
the kernel is loaded and jumped to… or something where we
-ensure- the microcode is loaded first and maintain system integrity.

Intel will, of course, continue to provided updated microcode.

Any thoughts on the best approach to this? (boot? EFI?)
~b

--
William J. Coldwell               @Cryo Cyber:@BlueCat Pres:@NetBSD
Sui Generis Technomage            PGP:0xF97CC215   ARIN:WC25/AS7769