Re: fallocate for FFS

Hi,
I will try to figure it out, since its not yet implemented the syscall is a good way to start dev in BSD kernel.

Pozdrawiam,
Patryk Ząbkiewicz

niedz., 25 wrz 2022 o 21:15 Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud%netbsd.org@localhost> napisał(a):
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 03:51:26PM +0200, Patryk wrote:
> is this item already developed in netBSD or should I start looking into it ?
> https://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/ffs-fallocate/

AFAIK, its not implemented yet in NetBSD. I guess it got a bit on the back
burner due to the tendency that programs detecting fallocate() missing tend to
use truncate() for this though it of course doesn't guarantee all is
allocated.

It shouldn't be that difficult to implement on its own but the more difficult
part is I guess figuring out the addition of the system call, the libc stub
addition and the test code. As for the code itself, consider the code for
growing files in sys/fs/msdosfs since it does this by necessity as it doesn't
understand holes. I am sure tech-kern@ will be happy to provide you pointers
for the other bits.

With regards,
Reinoud