Re: Problems with implementing EFI runtime support for x86

Hi, thank you so much for your explanation and detailed descriptions in the
patch you provided.

Unfortunately there are some very tricky issues in here with handling
pmaps.  So it'll take a bit more to get it working.  There are also

It seems like I was quite close to finally getting it working (and soo far at the same time). I definitely discovered and learned a ton fascinating things, though!

Would you like to give this patch a whirl before I commit it?

I am trying it out now, unfortunately I'm running into this error:
fatal privileged instruction fault in supervisor mode
[...]
kernel: privileged instruction fault trap, code=0
Stopped in pid 0.0 (system) at netbsd:xrstor+0xa:	fxsave1
This happens in efi_runtime_exit, more specifically - during fpu_kern_leave.
It's probably due to me naively debugging by just calling it during efi_init, so now I'll try to do it properly and add efi_gettime to /dev/efi. How did you
go about testing it?

So I'm planning to commit my version soon.  But you made a valiant
effort -- feel free to ask again if you have any more questions about
NetBSD kernel development!

My main concern right now is not knowing where to try and start contributing to
NetBSD, as it really sparked my interest. I found this project list
https://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/all/#index4h1 and will probably look for some features of other BSDs which could be ported. Could you tell me where or how I
could find some entry-level projects?

Have a great day,
Paweł