Re: I think I've found why Xen domUs can't mount some file-backed disk images! (vnd(4) hides labels!)

At Sat, 10 Apr 2021 18:44:32 -0700, Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: I think I've found why Xen domUs can't mount some file-backed disk images! (vnd(4) hides labels!)

> 	hello.  This must be some kind of regression that's ben around a
> while.  I'm runing a xen dom0 with NetBSD-5.2 and xen-3.3.2, very old,
> but vnd(4) does expose the entire file to the domu's including FreeBSD
> 11 and 12 without any corruption or booting issues.  Do you know when
> this trouble began?

I don't know -- I think I've only ever successfully used ISO files, and
I think I gave up on some IMG file(s) previously (possibly not just from
FreeBSD) without trying to understand why they didn't work.

Have you tried specifically with a recent FreeBSD mini-memstick.img file?

I'm thinking (esp. given what I see from "od -c < /dev/rvnd0d") that
what's wrong is the vnd(4) driver is (also?) imposing some
mis-interpreted idea about the number of cylinders and heads or
something like that, especially given that "fdisk vnd0" is so totally
confused about what's in there.

There's a definite pattern of corruption anyway -- I just can't explain
it well enough yet.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>