Re: [NEWBIE] [GSOC]

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 01:20:17PM +0530, Piyush Sachdeva wrote:

> However I wanted to know how much of the project will be in user-land
> and how much of it will be in the kernel space. As I have a 2018
> MacBook, I don?t have the luxury of dual booting it.

Nearly all work will be in the kernel. You have looked at what the
proposed extension is? It is obvious that you need to touch the libc functions
and structures a tiny bit to pass the new requests to the posix_spawn syscall.

> Also it will be great if you could point me in the right direction
> where I could do some readings for the project, so as to be better
> equipped for writing a proposal.

The project description refers to the Austin Groups ticket tracker for this
proposed extension. You need to fully understand that first.

Second step is to look at the libc parts in NetBSD, which manipulate the
structures passed to the syscall. You can find them in
src/lib/libc/gen/posix_spawnp.c, posix_spawn_fileactions.c and
posix_spawn_sched.c.

If you then still think you should go for the project, you need to set up
a test environment - which could be in an emulator like qemu. Building
is not a problem, you can cross build from everything remotely unix like.

Martin