Re: X vs serial console?

>> Is there any way I can test for it?
> Connect something to the HDMI outputs?

I got out my HDMI-to-VGA converter, the same one I've used for HDMI
stuff on this before.

It doesn't work to just switch to HDMI.  xrandr does recognize when
HDMI is connected (and which HDMI connector is connected), but I still
get nothing but black on the monitor (well, sometimes, in a few cases,
I got the monitor's "I don't support this input" display instead - it's
a dumb flatscreen, not a civilized CRT).

Curiously, RandR thinks DP3 - the VGA output - is connected even when
it actually is not.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign