Re: Logging a kernel message when blocking on entropy

Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> I think this is fine, but it should be rate-limited the same way other
> messages in kern_entropy.c are rate-limited.
>
> 		if (ratecheck(&lasttime, &interval))
> 			printf("...");

I would prefer them not to be rate limited.  Repeated messages are
useful because they will typically contain different PIDs and program
names.

Consider a system logging the following message to the console at boot
time:

[  22.8406587] entropy: pid 188 (syslogd) blocking due to lack of entropy

and then hanging.  You hit control-c to recover, the boot continues
but then immediately hangs again as another process also blocks
on entropy.  In this case, I would like a second message to be logged
so that it is immediately apparent that another process has blocked,
and which process that is.

Or if you start two different daemons in parallel and both block
immediately, it would be helpful to get messages identifying both of
them.
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson%gson.org@localhost