Re: /dev/crypto missing

> Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 01:10:34 +0000 (UTC)
> From: John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost>
>
> I erroneously thought that if pseudo-device crypto wasn't in the kernel,
> crypto would be done in userland. That's not the case:

What makes you think crypto isn't being done in userland?

The problem looks to me like the server returns garbage on a TLS
connection, which gets mixed up with an OpenSSL debugging message --
or possibly it is garbage _because_ it got mixed up with the OpenSSL
debugging message.  Maybe OpenSSL should handle ENXIO quietly like it
handles ENOENT there, but it looks like there's a deeper problem if
crap that OpenSSL printed got included in the TLS stream!

> If this is the case, then why isn't crypto in every kernel configuration
> by default, except perhaps special cases?

/dev/crypto is totally obsolete as it exists today.  Really the only
reason it continues to exist is to test opencrypto drivers from
userland before using them in the kernel.