Re: Horrendous RAIDframe reconstruction performance

Any thoughts about what's going on here? Is this because the drives are 512e drives? Three weeks is a LONG time to reconstruct.

So this turns out to be a failing drive. SMART doesn't show it's failing, but the one that's failing defaults to having the write cache off, and turning it on doesn't change the speed.

I guess it's still usable, in a limited way - I can only write at 5 or 6 MB/sec, but I can read at 200 MB/sec. Maybe I'll use it in an m68k Mac.

Also, the autoconfigure works, but the forcing of root FS status didn't because I was testing it on a system that already had a RAIDframe with forced root. However, it still doesn't work on aarch64, but I'll recheck this after trying Jared's boot.cfg support.

Thanks, Greg, Michael and Edgar. I learned something :) I am still curious about whether I was seeing both good read and write speeds because writes weren't going to both drives. I suppose I assumed that all writes would go to both drives even while reconstructing, but I suppose that only happens when the writes are inside of the area which has already been reconstructed, yes?

John