Scheduling problem - need some help here

Hi,

there is a problem (on vax) that I do not really understand.  Greg Oster filed a PR on it (#55415).

A while ago ad@ removed the  "(ci)->ci_want_resched = 1;" from cpu_need_resched() in vax/include/cpu.h. And as I read the code (in kern_runq.c) it shouldn't be needed, ci_want_resched should be set already when the macro cpu_need_resched() is invoked.

But; without setting cpu_need_resched=1 the vax performs really bad (as described in the PR).

cpu_need_resched may have multiple values nowadays, setting it to 1 will effectively clear out other flags, which is probably what makes it work.

Anyone know what os going on here (and can explain it to me)?

-- Ragge