Re: digest so far? (Re: makesyscalls (moving forward))

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:15:09PM +0200, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
 > It would be great if that can be done for the ioctls dispatch code
 > as well and cover their copyin/copyout stuff, its now all over the
 > place; I think that would save a lot of hidden bugs. Is there a
 > specification that resembles the syscalls.master for ioctls?
 > Shouldn't there be one?

There is not and there should be, that's part of the goal.

 > Reading the discussion, I got the idea that the preferred place to
 > store the definitions for userland usage is internally in the
 > compiled makesyscalls; compiled with the source tables in
 > BSDSRCDIR/sys and not externally on disc.

Kamil thinks that. I don't see why. Compiling data into tools just
complicates everything.

Expect the installed description file to be something generated during
the system build, not a copy of syscalls.master.

Whether it matches the kernel is a red herring. If you have updated
the system properly, it will match /usr/include, and that is expected
to be consistent with the kernel the same way that it always has been.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost