Re: makesyscalls (moving forward)

On 15.06.2020 13:44, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
>  No need to install it in base. The resulting
> files can then be committed as `regen' just like the pcidevs variants.

I disagree as we don't want to pull ${BSDSRCDIR} dependency for users,
for building an application.

This utility shall receive ATF testing and thus shall be part of $PATH.

On 15.06.2020 13:44, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> I wouldn't install the file in the FS; kernel and userland are often
out of
> sync, maybe even versions apart with say NetBSD-8 userland but
NetBSD-current
> kernel. If anywhere, request the data from the kernel by exposing it
in /kern.
> Exposing it one way or another might be an attack vector too ...

Putting it to /kern would be bad as we will gain another kernel ABI
dependency and this program won't be usable in TOOLDIR neither when
working with different target NetBSD release than the developer's computer.

I personally think that the definition file shall be embedded directly
into the program to avoid any issues with incompatible script version vs
makesyscalls(1) program.