Re: makesyscalls

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 04:40:28PM +0200, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
 > > Yes, it can be rewritten in C as a subsequent step. *After* quite a
 > > bit of tidying. And no, I'm not doing that now. Among other problems,
 > > compiling it requires bikeshedding where to put it in the tree. Feel
 > > free to sort that out.
 >
 > I'd say 'C'. If the specification is read in, sanity checking can
 > be added on the read in datastructure too wich is hard to do in awk
 > and `friends'. Things like missing compat definitions, missing
 > syscall numbers etc can be printed out to be noted as non-existent
 > etc. I don't know about structure versioning and system calls as
 > for compat but generating them seems the right way to go.

C is not a great language for writing code generators, but it's what
we've got. There's nothing better that we want in base or that I'd be
willing to suggest accepting an external dependence for.

Anyway, the conclusion seems to me that I'm not going to check in the
Python version of the script.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost