fstat(1) and sysctl(3)

Is there any good reason that fstat(1) needs kvm(3)? Is it viable to
offer its functionality with sysctl(3), in particular in struct kinfo_file?

I'm have got a use-case (in GDB (*)) where I would make use of more
fields in struct kinfo_file, at least file path and socket information.

Maybe it would be viable to switch fstat(1) to sysctl(3)?

(*) FreeBSD uses:

fbsd_info_proc_files_entry (kf->kf_type, kf->kf_fd, kf->kf_flags,
                            kf->kf_offset, kf->kf_vnode_type,
                            kf->kf_sock_domain, kf->kf_sock_type,
                            kf->kf_sock_protocol, &kf->kf_sa_local,
                            &kf->kf_sa_peer, kf->kf_path);