Re: x86 bootstrap features

Hi Kamil, Emmanuel & all,

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

On 24.09.2019 14:26, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 01:31:51PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
My use-case is "qemu-system-x86_64 -kernel ./netbsd". Last I tried (with
multiboot2 patches merged) it still did not work.

I did not commit anything in multiboot support in the NetBSD kernel,
I only worked on bootstraps for now, hence the steady failure you
experience should come at no suprise.

For now our kernel has support code for multiboot 1 for i386 only.

qemu-system-i386 works, but -x86_64 not.

Are there plans to add it to the amd64 kernel?

Is there any news on this front? Being able to boot an amd64 kernel directly
from kvm would give NetBSD the ability to be started by AWS Firecracker[1] out
of the box which would be amazing.

[1]: https://github.com/firecracker-microvm/firecracker

Emile `iMil' Heitor * <imil@{home.imil.net,NetBSD.org,gcu.info}>
                                                              _