Re: Rump dependencies (5.2)?

>> Then I think possibly the right answer for the moment is for me to
>> excise rump from my tree entirely.  [...]
> But it seems really obvious that you should fix the rump build and
> write some atf test cases for your SCM_MEMORY stuff, and then you
> will be able to test it automatically.

I will be testing it automatically anyway; I have a test program
written with a half-dozen or so test cases already.  Indeed, one of
them turned up what I would call bugs in the pre-changes system, which
apparently exist in later systems too: stressing SCM_RIGHTS through one
socket leads to _something_ breaking unrelated processes' use of
SCM_RIGHTS - I think I wrote here about a test program, which,
incidentally, I have now improved to ignore SIGPIPE, so it should
complain when broken pipes are the symptom.  (Also, it appears 4.0.1 is
not vulnerable; the misbehaviour does not occur for me there.)

It is not worth the time and headache, to me, to

* learn how ATF works enough to write and run test cases (something is
  broken with its documentation on my machines, though I don't know
  who's to blame; man -k shows ATF(7), but man 7 ATF says no such page
  exists);

* figure out how to fix the places where it doesn't work for me
  (experience says there will be at least a few, quite possibly
  involving showstoppers like expecting perl or the like to be
  installed);

* figure out what's involved in coaxing the dependency tree out of the
  scattered Makefiles (kre says this alone is significant headache) and
  persuading rump to build again, quite possibly demanding a redesign
  of the kernel code...

when I will be building (and to some extent have already built)
automated test cases anyway, test cases that don't depend on rump and
actually test the real thing, and I expect the chance anyone else is
interested is zero to a fairly good approximation.  (Is even SCM_MEMORY
enough to get anyone interested in running my mutant 5.2?  And if
someone ports it to something newer, any rump fixes I do will need
changing and/or redoing anyway.)

If anyone else does want to do the above, great.  I'll be happy to help
to the extent that I'm competent to.  But that is unlikely to include
dealing with the rump side of it.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign