Re: build.sh sets with xz (was Re: vfs cache timing changes)

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 06:59:42AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I'd like us to keep somewhat separate the notions of:
>
>   someone is doing build.sh release
>
>   someone wants min-size sets at the expense of a lot of cpu time
>

> I regularly do build.sh release, and rsync the releasedir bits to other
> machines, and use them to install.  Now perhaps I should be doing
> "distribution", but sometimes I want the ISOs.

The default is MKDEBUG=no so you probably will not notice the compression
difference that much.

If you set MKDEBUG=yes you can just as easily set USE_XZ_SETS=no
(or USE_PIGZGZIP=yes if you have pigz installed).

The other side of the coin is that we have reproducable builds, and we
should not make it harder than needed to reproduce our official builds.

But ... it already needs some settings (which we still need to document
on a wiki page properly), so we could also default to something else
and force maximal compressions via the build.sh command line on the
build cluster.

Martin