Re: Linux futexes

> On Jul 27, 2019, at 5:05 AM, Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
>

> I don't think the Linux futex emulation code is correct/good enough.

I have be on/off working on an updated futex implementation written by Taylor, with the intent of making it a native call (in order to improve or own semaphore and mutex implementations).  You are correct in that the current implementation is lacking.

I will try to focus on finishing up the new implementation soon.  But even the stuff written by Taylor is a little lacking compared to what modern Linux uses futexes for, so some additional work is going to be required.

> Trying to use Linux OpenJDK 11 to compile itself it stops making
> any progress fairly quickly with all threads blocked waiting on
> a futex.
>
> Also seen with the installer for the latest Xilinx Vivado FPGA tools,
> the UI stops responding to mouse clicks after one action has been
> selected.
>
> Robert Swindells

-- thorpej