Re: mknod(2) and POSIX

David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> However, I notice that mknod(2) does not describe how to set the
> object type with the type bits of the mode argument, or document which
> object types are allowed, and mkfifo(2) also does not say whether
> S_IFIFO should be set in the mode argument or not.

This is documented quite well in the opengroup.org standards pages (or
in S_IFIFO, and just don't set any special bits, respectively).  Agreed
that fixing the man pages would be good.

> (Though mkfifo(2) hints not by not documenting EINVAL for "The
> supplied mode is invalid", this sort of inference is annoying even in
> standards and really not ok for docs...)

https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/mknod.html
https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/mkfifo.html#tag_16_327

Those seem clear to me.