Re: To get net ioctl number

On 28.02.2019 08:24, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019, Masanobu SAITOH wrote:
>
>>  I'd like to get new number for new ioctl. How should I find unused number
>> for it? I'm going to add new SIOCXXX. It may not enough to grep sys/net/*.h,
>> so I made usr.bin/kdump-ioctl.c and did
>>
>> 	grep \'i kdump-ioctl.c | sort -n -k 5,5 | uniq | column -t
>>
>> I think it might not enough because kdump-ioctl.c has no compat-related
>> code.
>>
>>  What should I do?
>
> In most cases, an ioctl value is only valid when performed on a handle
> leading to a specific subsystem, meaning that it does not really need to
> be globally distinct. There is a list of the letters used in ioctl(9)

We need globally distinct numbers for ioctl(2) operations in sanitizers
and other programs tracing ioctl(2) operations like ktruss(1).

There is a small number of duplicates and we are sacrificing handling of
less important ones with more important ones.

If we can get support for F_GETPATH we could mitigate duplicates.