Re: DIAGNOSTIC for modules (Re: CVS commit: src/sys/dev/usb)

Hi,

On 2019/02/13 6:07, Paul Goyette wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019, Rin Okuyama wrote:

Hi,

As Martin pointed out, it is useful for debugging to turn on
DIAGNOSTIC for modules (for non-release branches).

Now, all modules for amd64 are successfully built with DIAGNOSTIC.

I'd like to commit the patch below, if there's no objection.

This would be very helpful.

I would also wonder if we could increase the WARNS?= level from 3 to 5 (to match the current WARNS?= level used for kernel builds).  Has anyone tried to see how many modules would fail with WARNS?=5  ??

Thank you for your comment.

Well, I examined that (both for GCC7 & clang). Among ~ 360 modules,
- 2 (lua and zfs) need WARNS=0
- 1 (solaris) needs WARNS=1
- 136 need WARNS=3 (mostly due to sign-compare)
- 4 need WARNS=4
- Others can be compiled with WARNS=5

I propose this patch:
http://www.netbsd.org/~rin/modules_bump_warns_20190213.patch

- Bump default value of WARNS for modules from 3 to 5
- Explicitly set WARNS for modules that fail with WARNS=5
- Then, expect someone in charge will fix them ;-)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
rin