Re: Current best practice for testing a new kernel API?

On Dec 23, 2018, at 8:41 AM, Christos Zoulas <christos%astron.com@localhost> wrote:

Some ideas:
- kernel module to load the test
- use rump

It's almost noon where you are, Christos, but I'm not sure you've had your coffee yet -- that's essentially what I said in my email.  :-)

Anyway, one drawback of the module approach is that you have to be down-securelevel to load one.  So, any system that wants to run this test would have to pre-load the module at boot time.

I might go ahead and implement the module approach first simply because I already have the jig written, and the ATF script can just test for the presence of the jig and skip the test if it's not present, rather than trying to load the module.

For completeness, I'll explore the rump option, but I have to figure out how that stuff works, first.

-- thorpej