Re: svr4, again

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 02:35:11PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> > On Dec 17, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Maxime Villard <max%m00nbsd.net@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > Now I'm re-putting the subject on the table, because, as if it wasn't
> > already glaringly obvious, COMPAT_SVR4 is broken beyond repair. I keep
> > unintentionally finding bugs in it, and it just doesn't make any sense
> > to keep it to me.
>
> I'm far from authoritative on this, but I agree that it makes sense to remove it (I mean, jeez, if Christos isn't even using it... ;-).

Me neither - last I tried on sparc64 it was only usefull for a very
limited set of binaries and far from trivial to fix.

There were bugs in the mmap emulation and newer Solaris needed
additional syscalls for ld.elf_so. I put fixing it somewhere on my todo
list (and even have some diagnostic kernel modificiations to make it
print out more stuff before binaries fail), but the fixing part had no
chance to bubble up into visibility of the front page there for a year
or so and unlikely is going to happen anytime soon. Better fish to fry
elsewhere...

So I won't object removal from the sparc64 PoV.

Martin