Re: fixing coda in -current

manu%netbsd.org@localhost (Emmanuel Dreyfus) writes:

> Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> However, I am pleased to report that the coda people have said that they
>> are working on a fuse interface, although it's expected to be slower.
>
> FUSE vs kernel does not really matter when we deal with network
> filesystem performance. The latency of requesting a network operation is
> orders of magnitude higher than issuing a few system calls.

That's true when the file has to be fetched.

Coda, like AFS, caches files in normal operation, and there are read
lock callbacks.  So the first fetch is over the network and slow, and
subsequent reads are at nearly the speed of the underlying filesystem.
It is this speed that people are talking about.