Re: fixing coda in -current

David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> So I have no immediate comment on the patch but I'd like to understand
> better what it's doing -- the last time I crawled around in it
> (probably 7-8 years ago) it appeared to among other things have an
> incestuous relationship with ufs_readdir such that if you tried to use
> anything under than ffs as the local container it would detonate
> violently. But I never did figure out exactly what the deal was other
> than it was confusing and seemed to violate a lot of abstractions.
>
> Can you clarify? It would be nice to have it working properly and
> stuff like the above is only going to continue to fail in the future...

I didn't read this patch carefully, and I'm not Brett.  But the basic
scheme is that a container file representing a directory is in a
particular format.  This has been a source of issues when there was an
alignment change in directory reading.  My impression is that the way it
should be is that a container file that's a directory should be read in
ufs format, regardless of the container filesystem type.  I am not sure
that's the way the code is.

However, I am pleased to report that the coda people have said that they
are working on a fuse interface, although it's expected to be slower.
We'll see, both if it materializes and how fast it is.