Re: HEADS UP: drmkms update incoming

I managed to build full distribution after initially testing the git repo. It is running fine on my HP Envy 17. As before, the NVidia microcode is missing for the GeForce GTS/950m, although it is otherwise configured, so I have to disable nouveau*; I also have to disable genfb, but after that i915drmkms on the g530 graphics works fine.

Thanks for the great work.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018, 22:52 Paul Goyette, <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

> The drmkms update commit bomb is finished.  I've compile-tested amd64,
> i386, macppc, sparc64, and evbarm/TEGRA, and they all build.  I'll be
> around this evening US/Eastern to clean up fallout, of which I'm sure
> there will be some, but I need to get to $DAYJOB for a while now!

I know that most everyone else already has the context.  But for those
few of us who don't, could you give a quick statement of what this
actually accomplishes, besides importing the current state-of-linux
as of version x.y.z?

Do we get support for new(er) graphics cards (if so,which ones)?  Do
we get specific functionality that was not available in the previous
code?  Is this all (for now), or is there more coming?  (I remember
there being a comment on IRC about "doing it all over again" to come
up to speed with the next go-round...)

Oh, and I guess this info would also belong in src/doc/CHANGES if it
hasn't already been added.  :)

Thanks so much for all the hard work, to you (and maya and everyone
(else who collaborated on this.  It was obviously a herculean task,
and it's nice to know that someone(tm) was up to it!

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |