Re: usb/xhci lock issue on HEAD

On Thursday 12 July 2018 00:54:45 Martin Husemann wrote:
> You commented out a bit too much and it does not find your boot device?
>
>         /*
>          * If wildcarded root and we the boot device wasn't determined,
>          * ask the user.
>          */
>         if (rootspec == NULL && bootdv == NULL)
>                 boothowto |= RB_ASKNAME;
>
> (kern_subr.c:257)
>
> You normally would see something like:
>
> [..]
> boot device: wd0
> root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
> root file system type: ffs
>
> but if it can not identify the device, it tries to ask you for it (and
> runs into an unrelated usb bug).

No, I didn't comment out anything to do with the boot and root devices.
It is true I ran into an unrelated usb bug, but there must also be a bug
somewhere where the bootdv ends up NULL.   I got past this problem
by fixing the root device in the kernel config.   The problems are the
same on my wifi branch and head.  So this is not my bug.

The kernel (from both branches) says:

boot device: <unknown>

I copied GENERIC and then removed a bunch of drivers and changed
options, but left in all the 802.11 devices.   It works and I have been
running it for a while.   I then removed all the 802.11 devices except
urtwn and it can't find the boot device.   That is the only difference
between the working kernel and the kernel that doesn't know about
the boot device.  This is on HEAD.

--Phil