Re: Console on both VGA/Keyboard and IPMI

Greetings,

as far as I know linux is the only system currently supporting dualhead console (via console=vga,ttyS0 boot option). However few remarks on serial console:

1) Usually IPMI console is buffered, so you will get buffered messages (even more than screen can fit) when you connect to IPMI. This can be different for different ways to connect to it (SOL, ssh to IPMI, etc) and different hardware.

2) Depending on your needs you can always use spare terminal on vga or serial port.

3) you might use only one device for bootloader, starting kernel messages and possibly to gdb, but other messages could be redirected to any terminal via syslog.

4) console->serial BIOS redirection is also sometimes working good so you get both working at the same time (all IPMI systems have that option).

--
Sincerely yours,
Dima Veselov