Re: Resizing root file-system vs wedges

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 01:15:43PM -0300, Jared McNeill wrote:
>  - I need a reliable way to find the backing device for a given wedge so I
>    can "gpt resizedisk" and "gpt resize" from an rc script. It looks like
>    I can get this today with 'dkctl dk1 getwedgeinfo' but it doesn't look
>    like the output is meant to be parsed.

I was looking for something like that some time ago - in case of / on
root_dev an easy way to get the parent device of that. I think we
should add something to dkctl for this purpose.

>  - Inconsistent / nonexistent support for mount by name in the system. The
>    kernel wants "wedge:name", fstab wants "NAME=name", and none of the
>    tools (gpt, dkctl, resize_ffs) I am using seem to accept a label at
>    all.

For resize_ffs it should be simple to add that - for the others it does not
exactly make sense, as they alway operate on the parent device of the wedge.

I don't know if anything prevents us from moving from "wedge:" prefix to
"NAME=" for the kernel, sounds like a good idea to me.

Martin