Re: NetBSD 8.0 RC1 issue

On Wednesday 25 April 2018 12:40:32 Tom Spindler (moof) wrote:
> > I'm a little late in trying 8.0 ... but I just tried to install 8.0 RC1 on a
> > Dell Optiplex 745.   During boot it blanks the display and nothing can
> > be seen on the display from that point on.
>
> IIRC, I had similar issues with going from 6.x to 7.x; in my /etc/boot.cfg
> I had to change the entries along the lines of
>
> menu=Boot normally:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;vesa 1024x768x8;boot netbsd
> menu=Drop to boot prompt:vesa 1024x768x8;prompt
>
> Alternately, "vesa on" supposedly works, but I never got that to work
> consistently.

None of that worked for me.   the "vesa on" mode blanked the display faster
than the regular boot.  I tried a number of the vesa settings to no avail.

I also tried 8.0 RC1  on a Dell 990 and it wouldn't even boot.  6.1.5 is running
just great on that machine, but I couldn't get the 8.0 RC1 to even find a root
device when booting the amd64 8.0 RC1.   *sigh*

--Phil