Re: Spectre

> Since this involves a speculative load that is legal from the
> hardware definition point of view (the load is done by kernel code),
> this isn't a hardware bug the way Meltdown is.

Well, I'd say it's the same fundamental hardware bug as meltdown, but
not compounded by an additional hardware property (which I'm not sure I
would call a bug) which is made much worse by the actual bug.

To my mind, the bug here is that annulling spec ex doesn't annul _all_
its effects.  That, fundamentally, is what's behind both spectre and
meltdown.  In meltdown it's exacerbated by spec ex's failure to check
permissions fully - but if the side effects were annulled correctly,
even that failure wouldn't cause trouble.

> But it's an issue that requires a fix -- which is a speculative
> execution barrier between the software access check, and the
> subsequent code that is legal only if the check is successful.

The _right_ fix is for the side effects (cache, among others) to be
annulled along with the overt effects when spec ex is annulled.  Spec
ex barriers are just a workaround to hide the worst of the effects of
the bug in buggy hardware - there's so much buggy hardware out in the
field that _some_ kind of mitigation measure is appropriate - but
workarounds should not be confused with fixes.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign