Re: amd64: svs

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 08:14:59PM +0100, Jaromír Dole?ek wrote:
> Okay, I'll look into this. The feature seems pretty simple to use, though
> it will need
> some care to allow inactive processes to relinguish PCID when there is
> shortage.

All sane architectures are already using it ;-)

Sparc64 uses a pretty simple scheme, see pmap.c:ctx_alloc:

        mutex_enter(&curcpu()->ci_ctx_lock);
        ctx = curcpu()->ci_pmap_next_ctx++;

        /*
         * if we have run out of contexts, remove all user entries from
         * the TSB, TLB and dcache and start over with context 1 again.
         */

        if (ctx == curcpu()->ci_numctx) {

If we start doing something more clever, we should make it MD and change all
existing architectures to it.

Martin