Re: Merging ugen into the usb stack

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> However, it can not work with the way NetBSD uses ugen devices:
>
> uftdi0 at uhub3 port 2
> uftdi0: FTDI (0x9e88) SheevaPlug JTAGKey FT2232D B (0x9e8f), rev 2.00/5.00, addr 3
> ucom0 at uftdi0 portno 1
> ucom1 at uftdi0 portno 2
>
> I can disable the ucom at uftdi0 portno 1, but there is no way to get a ugen
> device to attach there.
>
> The uftdi chip itself offers a separate interface for each of the ports,
> at that layer there should not be a problem.

I wonder if we should be attaching drivers to endpoints, rather than
devices.  It seems fairly common to have multiple endpoints doing
different things (among more-than-one-thing devices), rather than
multiple devices behind a hub.

Letting ugen attach to endpoints that drivers don't deal with seems like
an entirely reasonable solution, and it seems to have lower risk of
problems from things we can't predict.

I also wonder what other operating systems do here (beyond point
solutions that they've had to do).