Re: kernel condvars: how to use?

	hello.  I don't consider myself an expert with this stuff, but I've
spent quite a bit of time converting kernel code from using spl()/splx() in
5.2 to using mutexes and convars with some success.  Here are some notes
that may be helpful in your work:

1.  You must initialize mutexes, as Taylor noted, and pick the kind of
mutex you want and the level at which you want it to run.  Mutexes that use
spin locks can't be used in interrupt context.
If you're sharing your IPL with other drivers that may want to hold mutexes
at the same level, particularly ones that might be doing some operation
like copying data into or out of user space, it's good to structure your
code in such a way that you won't try to run when they do.

2.  Initialize your convar with cv_init().

3.  Many times, you can replace s = spl(ipl) with mutex_enter(my_mutex) and
splx(s) with mutex_exit(my_mutex).  It's generally considered to be a very
bad idea to sleep while holding a mutex, much as it is while executing code
inside an spl'd stanza.

4.  If you run into lock contention when debugging your code, pay careful
attention to who holds the lock at the time of the panic.  I found times
when I was locking against myself in non-obvious manners.

5.  Read the manual pages for mutex(9), convar(9) and rwlock(9), and, when
done, read them again.  Then, look at working examples in the code.
Eventually, it will click in your head and begin to make sense.

Hope these imprecise notes are somewhat helpful.

-Brian