Re: untangling the compat mess

In article <27887.1512591836%splode.eterna.com.au@localhost>,
matthew green  <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost> wrote:
>kernel libraries are supposed to be built as a .o not a .a,
>for modular/lkm kernels.  did this get lost some where?
>
>ie, if you have a MODULAR kernel, then the build should always
>include all the library stuff, in libkern, etc.  see the
>KERN_AS variable.
>
>sounds like libcompat is not being treated the same and it
>should be instead.

As a longer term goal we should try to disentangle all the
compatibility code from the kernel and have it build only as modules.
For that we need to improve the module registration/de-registration
process as well as provide better hooking mechanisms so that the
compat code can intercept the necessary functions. An example how
not to do compat code is net/rtsock.c :-)

Part of the idea is to autogenerate a lot of the compat code that
is just needed for struct layout and constant translation adjustments.

christos