struct ifnet locking [was Re: IFEF_MPSAFE]

On 11/17/17 07:44, Ryota Ozaki wrote:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Ryota Ozaki <ozaki.ryota%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:35 PM, Ryota Ozaki <ozaki.ryota%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Hi,

http://www.netbsd.org/~ozaki-r/IFEF_MPSAFE.diff

I'm going to commit the above change that integrates
IFEF_OUTPUT_MPSAFE and IFEF_START_MPSAFE flags into
IFEF_MPSAFE.

The motivation is to not waste if_extflags bits. I'm now
trying to make if_ioctl() hold KERNEL_LOCK selectively
for some reasons as well as if_start() and if_output().
BTW this is a patch for this plan:
   http://www.netbsd.org/~ozaki-r/if_ioctl-no-KERNEL_LOCK.diff

It removes KERNEL_LOCK for if_ioctl from soo_ioctl and
selectively takes it in doifioctl. To this end, some fine-grain
KERNEL_LOCKs have to be added where calling components/functions
that aren't MP-safe.
Revised rebased on latest NET_MPSAFE macros. The new patch also provides
similar macros:
   http://www.netbsd.org/~ozaki-r/if_ioctl-no-KERNEL_LOCK.revised.diff

   ozaki-r

Hi,

Can you document the protection requirements of the struct ifnet members, e.g. if_flags.

Ideally by annotating it like struct proc

http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/netbsd-src/sys/sys/proc.h#230

Thanks,

Nick