Re: RFC: PERCPU_LIST to fix PR kern/52515

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Taylor R Campbell
<campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 11:26:40 +0900
>> From: Ryota Ozaki <ozaki-r%netbsd.org@localhost>
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 11:13 PM, Taylor R Campbell
>> <campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:
>> > Quick summary of the problem:
>> >
>> > Possible solutions.  I'm leaning toward (6), to open-code the linked
>> > list operations for this special purpose, with compile-tested patch
>> > attached.  This changes the text of psref.h, but shouldn't change the
>> > ABI.  Comments?
>>
>> How about using SLIST instead of open-coding? The instructions of them
>> are very similar, but the SLIST version is slightly simpler.
>
> I avoided that because n psref_release operations takes expected and
> worst-case O(n^2) time and there's no constant bound on the latency of
> a single psref_release operation.  But maybe n is always small enough
> that it doesn't matter -- perhaps enough that the concrete cost of
> maintaining a doubly-linked list is higher.

I also suppose that a target being released is at the head of the list
because targets of psref are typically manipulated in last-in-first-out
manner. But yes psref_release of SLIST version can be O(n) in worst
cases theoretically.

Well, when I think this kind of problems I tend to think of our usages,
i.e., network processing as a router. In such usages, psref is used in
softint and the last-in-first-out manner would keep in many cases. But
in other usages such as uses in threads the assumption is perhaps not
really.

> (My desire to avoid thinking about bounds on n is also what motivated
> me to use a linked list instead of an array in the first place.)
>
> Note that your patch changes the ABI of struct psref!

Let's bump the kernel version!

> I wonder whether the open-coded version would do better if it
> unconditionally loaded the percpu:
>
>         pcpu = percpu_getref(class->prc_percpu);
>         KASSERTMSG(psref->psref_prevp == NULL || *psref->psref_prevp == psref,
>             "psref %p prevp %p points at %p",
>             psref, psref->psref_prevp, *psref->psref_prevp);
>         KASSERTMSG(psref->psref_prevp != NULL || pcpu->pcpu_first == psref,
>             "psref %p marked as first but psref_cpu %p on %d first is %p",
>             psref, pcpu, cpu_index(curcpu()), pcpu->pcpu_first);
>         *(psref->psref_prevp ? psref->psref_prevp : &pcpu->pcpu_first) =
>             psref->psref_next;
>         percpu_putref(class->prc_percpu);
>
> With DIAGNOSTIC disabled, I get a conditional move instruction instead
> of branches this way:
>
>  4f9:   e8 00 00 00 00          callq  4fe <psref_release+0x93>
>                         4fa: R_X86_64_PC32     percpu_getref+0xfffffffffffffffc
>  4fe:   48 8b 53 08             mov    0x8(%rbx),%rdx
>  502:   48 85 d2                test   %rdx,%rdx
>  505:   48 0f 44 d0             cmove  %rax,%rdx
>  509:   48 8b 03                mov    (%rbx),%rax
>  50c:   48 89 02                mov    %rax,(%rdx)
>  50f:   49 8b 7c 24 20          mov    0x20(%r12),%rdi
>  514:   e8 00 00 00 00          callq  519 <psref_release+0xae>
>                         515: R_X86_64_PC32     percpu_putref+0xfffffffffffffffc
>
> Also, my original patch was missing a percpu_putref.  I hope you put
> it back before you ran your test!

I'll test with the patch in the other mail later.

Thanks,
  ozaki-r