Re: max open files

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:

Hi,

this number is way too easy to hit just linking things in pkgsrc. can we
raise it? things fail hard when it is hit.

ive seen people say 'when your build dies, restart it with MAKE_JOBS=1
so it doesn't link in parallel'.

I run my machine with kern.maxfiles=5120

I'm sure I could raise it much higher, but not necessarily.

The only time I ever ran up against the limit was when there was a bug in Nat's new wsbell code (which opened the /dev/audio to issue the "beep" tone, but never closed the device). Otherwise I haven't hit it, and I'm always running large pkgsrc rebuilds and/or netbsd build, and always with many parallel jobs. (I default to MAKE_JOBS=8 for pkgsrc, and -J 24 for release builds.)

So, I'm not against raising it, but we would need to have some specific value that would work on small (arm SOCs?) as well as large systems such as mine! Perhaps some algorithmic calculation based on other system parameters?

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |