Re: how to tell if a process is 64-bit

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 07:38:24AM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> > In a cross-platform process utility tool the question came up how to
> > decide if a process is 64-bit.
>
> First, I have to ask: what does it mean to say that a particular
> process is - or isn't - 64-bit?

I think the only simple answer is "it is 64-bit in the relevant sense if
it uses the platform's 64-bit ABI for interaction with the kernel".

This actually raises a question for me about MIPS: do we have another
process flag to indicate O32 vs. N32, or can we simply not run O32
executables on 64-bit or N32 kernels (surely we don't use the O32 ABI
for all kernel interaction by 32-bit processes)?

Thor