Re: Proposal: Disable autoload of compat_xyz modules

Le 10/09/2017 à 13:16, Manuel Bouyer a écrit :
On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 01:13:14PM +0200, Maxime Villard wrote:
True enough; but in this particular case, leaving compat features enabled just
for the sake of simplicity produces a system that is much more vulnerable than
if it had one level of indirection.

If you know it's vulnerable then fix it, do not spend time trying to
work around it.

Yes, compat_linux/linux32/svr4/svr4_32/ibcs2/etc are probably still vulnerable,
but in ways that are far from being obvious. Just look at the vulnerability I
fixed in linux32 a few days ago.

It was agreed here that somehow there needs to be a way to reduce the attack
surface by default without totally "disabling" the features that have a common
use case - what I'm discussing now is how to achieve that, not whether to do
it or not.

Having said that, I can understand that my noload proposal may not be the best.

Maxime