Re: /proc/#/ctl removal

On 27.08.2017 16:07, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2017-08-27 14:09, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
>> On 08/27/2017 03:59 AM, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>>> LGTM, perhaps leave a comment /* old P_FSTRACE    0x00010000 */
>>> instead of completely removing the constants for now as a reminder.
>>
>> Isn't that sort of duplicating what CVS does?
>
> I would say no. CVS allows you to go back in history, see what changed,
> see how things were before, and so on.
> Documenting something in the code is useful for people who are writing
> code. It would be impossible to always go back and check the full
> history of every file when you are doing work. If there is something
> that is useful for the future to be aware of, it needs to be documented
> in the code, including if it is something of related to history.
>
> If it is totally irrelevant for future code writing, then there is no
> need to keep any comment in the code, but if, for example, some constant
> of value in a larger range historically was used for something, this is
> important to keep around, even if it is no longer used, as it should
> maybe be left unused/undefined, and if you need some new value, you
> should grab a different one. If you get what I mean.
>
>   Johnny

I use git mirror for data mining.

Mirror: https://github.com/NetBSD/src/

Useful commands:
git log -p -- file-or-directory
git log --grep "message"

Some of operations are quicker through GitHub, as it has indexed the
repository. GitHub can be also used to scan open-source software
available on this hosting site for code or phrase in a commit message.