re: Proposal: Disable autoload of compat_xyz modules

> > Otherwise it has to be balanced.
>
> Certainly. It does not seem to me that moving compat_linux* into modules is in
> any way illegitimate or unbalanced. That's the opinion I was stating.

if you want to move useful and used by a large number of users
functionality out of GENERIC and into modules then first perhaps
you should consider fixing modules.

there are a large number of basic functionality issues that no
one pushing modules has solved yet.  for a start, see lukem's
original proposal about having a kernel+modules container,
the functionality of which is a _essential_ before it's going
to be considered OK to remove standard functionality from
GENERIC.

this has nothing to do with compat_linux.  it has to do with
what we have decided about modules vs GENERIC some years ago,
and the reasons haven't changed.

claiming that compat_linux isn't a major piece of usability
is simply ignoring reality.  thus, it still belongs in GENERIC.

(we do have some standard functionality in modules, but that
is a licensing issue.  we can't have dtrace/etc statically
in our kernel without it being a problem.)

.mrg.