Re: Proposal: Disable autoload of compat_xyz modules

Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:

> This is a compromise between preserving the functionality and reducing
> attack surface for what I hypothesize are a majority of users who do
> not use it.  Under this proposal, the code will remain, and still be
> built, and still be usable -- it will just not be enabled by default.

Once every compatibility module would not loaded by default, pehaps the
compat_xxx module could be loaded automatically if /emul/xxx/ exists?

The presence of that hierarchy means the system administrator really
meant to use compat_xxx, and it would avoid breaking existing system at
upgrade time.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz