Interested in ext3fs for GSoC

Hello,

I'm a computer science undergraduate at Harvard studying Operating Systems and I'm interested in implementing ext3 for a Google Summer of Code project.

First off, the project page states that several years of ext3 GSoC projects have failed. I'm interested in finding out why, and figuring out what I can do to avoid their fate. The only documentation I could find was from the 2008 GSoC student that just vanished.

Where can I find specific information about previous attempts at ext3fs in NetBSD?

I'm currently reading through the documentation in http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/ext3/ but it is likely a bit out of date.

I'd also appreciate any advice on particularly tricky challenges or pitfalls that a might face.

Best,
Miles Fertel