Re: kernel aslr: someone interested?

Maxime Villard <max%m00nbsd.net@localhost> writes:

> I would also add - even if it is not a relevant argument - that most
> "commonly-used" operating systems do have kernel aslr: Windows, Mac, Linux,
> etc.

There's another point, which various people may also consider invalid :-)

In the US, there's a federal computer security standard NIST 800-53, and
essentially a subset of that NIST 800-171, and more or less all federal
contractors handling non-public information have to implement it.  There
are a lot of security controls, and exploit mitigation is one of them.

I am not claiming that kernel ASLR is a requirement.  But, I would hate
to see people in these environments be told not to use NetBSD because it
lacks some security controls compared to alternatives.