re: Fixed modular kernel path and different kernels

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017, matthew green wrote:

The 'tarball' variant has other problems, such as "how does the kernel
extract a module from the tarball to facilitate auto-load?"  Last time
I looked, there was no kernel version of tar or pax.  :)  IMHO, Loss of
the autoload capability would severely reduce the useability of modules.

there is "ustarfs" support in the kernel/libsa, that wouldn't
really be a big issue if this isn't directly usable, it would
be simple to fix or port some extractor code.

Ah, yes, thanks for reminding me about ustarfs.

Would ustarfs allow for in-place replacement of individual archive
members?  Or would replacement of one member require extracting the
entire archive, replacing a member file, and then rebuilding the
archive?  (I guess one could just append a new member to the archive,
but wouldn't that mean that a modload operation would have to search
the entire archive for the _last_ occurrence of the member you want
to extract?  Feels like a performance concern...)

FWIW, perhaps we should refer to this as the 'archive' variant rather
than 'tarball' variant?   :)

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |