Re: x86: page enter optimization

Le 14/10/2016 à 12:03, Jean-Yves Migeon a écrit :
I would benchmark both (with and without the "overhead" introduced); a
while back when implementing PAE I did not expect the paddr_t promotion
from 32 to 64 bits to have that much of an impact on pmap performance,
but the first attempt induced more that 5% overhead on a "cold"
./build.sh run.

Granted, you are not dealing with the same situation here but pool
caches make the allocation used/unused dance almost free (except for the
slow path). When objets are in the pool cache but not yet obtained
through the getter, they are still allocated but basically not used. It
would be interesting to see if the hit/miss ratio is affected for the
"pvpl" pool with your optimization.

I have benchmarked my patch, and I get awkward results. They show that with
my patch the allocation path is faster, and the non-allocation path is
slower. Obviously, it does not quite make sense. I have triple-checked and I
don't think my instrumentation is buggy.

I've added all of this to my todo list, and I'll come back to it later. For
now, let's just forget about it.