Re: "Wire" definitions and __packed

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 05:10:28PM +0000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
> I recommend trying it on sparc64.  That's one of the worst cases, being
> big-endian 64-bit with alignment constraints.  And I recall some ABI (was
> it ARM?) has strange alignment restrictions on byte values.

Old (ancient?) ARM ABIs had a minimal struct size. Thankfully, noone is
brain dead to do something like that and in fact, we had disabled that
part from what I dimly remember. We do assume that power-of-two sized
types require no more than that in terms of alignment. While not
strictly guaranteed by the standard, I believe a "don't care" attitude
is justified for platforms don't follow that.

Joerg